GIS Database Administrator ( GIS DBA)
Many of you studying GIS Course or who are thinking to make the career in GIS field would be interested to know about the profile of GIS Database Administrator popularly known as GIS DBA.
The article briefly discussed role and responsibilities, who can become GIS DBA, salaries and employment Opportunities in this profile.
What does GIS Database Administrator do?
The task and role and responsibilities of GIS database Administrator is briefly discussed below :
Database Administration & Architecture Designing
- Database designing & Implementation
- Interaction with development teams for data availability at various points.
- Provisioning for database sizing with respect to application requirements.
- Performance Tuning
- Periodic Backup & restoration.
- Database User Creation & Maintenance.
- User Support.
- Data Migration from Production to User Environment
- Configuration & Maintenance of Development & Test environment.
- Prepare database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary (metadata)
Data Center Activities
Co-ordination with various Teams for Database/Server Maintenance & additional requirements.
Eligibility for GIS Database Administrator:
- Engineering Graduates( BTech/BE in Computer Science/IT)
- BSc Computer Science /BCA with good knowledge of the database.
- Must have knowledge and practise on Oracle/PL/ SQL Server.
- Analytical skills– to examine information and data from maps, photographs, and censuses and suggestion conclusions to seniors.
- Good Command on Database skills ( Oracle/PL/SQL Server) – Should be technology savvy having knowledge of basic of computers and GIS Softwares.
- Basic Knowledge of GIS – As the profile is not pure IT database profile but an amalgamation of both GIS and IT, this requires the understanding of GIS concepts like attribute table, layers, feature class, geodatabase etc.
- Communication skills – As this profile has huge opportunities for employment abroad as well, so candidates with good communication will have an additional advantage as they need to understand the requirement of international clients.
Career Path for GIS Database Administrator:
The figure bellows shows the career path of from entry level of GIS technicians and how they move further after gaining experience as GIS Administrator.
How much does GIS Database Administrator Earn?
Typically India salary of GIS Administrator starting salary ranges from 2.5Lakhs to 4Lakhs per annum or more depending upon the company, capability and other factors.
GIS Database Administrator profile is one of the most lucrative profiles in GIS industry with huge demand for an experienced professional in the job market in India as well as abroad. The professional has seen exponential growth in this area as this profile candidates with both bits of knowledge of IT as well as GIS.
Companies recruiting GIS DBA:
The following are the few organization with employment opportunities for GIS DBAs:
Please leave a comment and feedback.
If you like the post please share on your Facebook